The PC version of The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth has a bug that causes the game to appear to run normally at first, but then it will eventually start producing no audio, and the screen will turn black, requiring you to restart the game in order to play it again.
This bug occurs fairly frequently. This guide will walk you through troubleshooting and finding a solution to this issue so that you can get back to playing as soon as you possibly can!
How To Resolve Binding Of Isaac Black Screen With Audio?
- Verify That You Have The Latest Graphics Drivers
The black screen and audio problem that some players are experiencing is caused by a graphics driver issue. To fix this problem, verify that you have the latest drivers from AMD or NVIDIA.
If you’re using an AMD graphics card, download and install the latest drivers from AMD directly. If you’re using an NVIDIA graphics card, download and install the latest drivers from NVIDIA directly.
Once installed, restart your computer for good measure. If it still does not work, try uninstalling/reinstalling your graphics drivers one more time.
- Try Running The Game In Compatibility Mode
The game can be run in compatibility mode to fix the black screen and audio issue. To do this, follow these steps below:
- Click the Start Menu at the bottom left of your screen.
- Select Properties from the menu that pops up. This will show a list of all your programs. Scroll down until you see The Binding Of Isaac: Rebirth. Double-click it to open its properties window.
- Check the box next to Run this program as an administrator.
- Make sure Compatibility Mode is selected on the dropdown menu.
- Lastly, select Windows 7 (Service Pack 1) and click Apply then OK. You should now be able to play the game without any problem!
- Change The Resolution
If you have a high-definition monitor, the game may just be running in 1680×1050 resolution. To fix this, follow these steps:
- Right-click on the game in Steam.
- Click Properties.
- Click the Set Launch Options button.
- Type -width 1080 -height 1080 and hit Enter.
- If you’re not using a high-definition monitor, try playing at a lower resolution. By default, the game runs in 1024×768 resolution.
- To change this setting, go to Documents/My Games/Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+/config.ini and open with Notepad++ or another text editor (or search for default fullscreen_mode with Ctrl+F).
- Change that number to one of your desired resolutions: 800×600 (0), 960×720 (1), 1280×960 (2), 1920×1080 (3).
- Save it and launch the game again.
- Turn Off Fullscreen Optimizations
If you are experiencing a black screen with audio in the game, there may be an issue with fullscreen optimizations. Follow these steps to disable these optimizations and see if it fixes the problem.
- Open up your Steam Library
- Right click on Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
- Click on Properties
- Under the General tab, uncheck Enable fullscreen optimization.
- Click OK to save changes. You should now see that fullscreen optimizations have been disabled.
- Restart the game by clicking Play
- Continue playing without any issues.